Spring is finally here with its warmer weather and wonderful scents filling the air. If you’d like to explore new recipe ideas this season, you’ll probably love trying out an old-fashioned lemon pound cake. It’s a tasty citrus dessert you can learn to prepare in a few easy steps.
You’ll need the following items to make your mouth-watering treat:
–2 1/2 cups white sugar
–1 1/2 cups butter, softened
–3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
–1/2 teaspoon salt
–1/2 teaspoon baking soda
–1 cup buttermilk
–2 tbsp lemon juice
–1 tbsp lemon zest
To make the Lemon Glaze:
–2 cups powdered sugar
–2 tbsp softened butter
–2 tbsp lemon juice
–2 tsp lemon zest + more for garnish on top (about 1 tbsp total)
–1 tbsp milk
- To make moist crumb out of your classic lemon pound cake, you need a mixture of butter, buttermilk, and four eggs.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixing ball and add eggs into the mixture one at a time, then add lemon zest.
- Place baking soda, flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl and sift the mixture.
- Mix the lemon juice, lemon extract, and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the flour and buttermilk mixtures into the bowl with the butter. Finish by adding the flour, stirring as you go.
Is Pound Cake Better with Milk or Water?
Buttermilk plays a crucial role in softening and making your old-fashioned lemon pound cake moist. Since it has a tangy flavor, it complements the lemon’s citrus taste. You could use milk or yogurt if you are out of buttermilk, but water isn’t ideal for this recipe. Milk can add fat, texture, density, and flavor to your treat, while water will simply thin out your batter.
What Is the Best Flour to Use for a Pound Cake?
You can use cake flour if you need to prepare an extra soft lemon pound cake. However, all-purpose flour is still an excellent choice for your baking. Whichever flour you use, be sure to sift it with salt, baking powder, and baking soda before combining it with the batter. Sifting helps prevent baking a lumpy cake. It also helps to evenly spread these ingredients throughout the cake.
Tips to Make the Best Lemon Pound Cake
To get the best out of your spring dessert recipe, follow these recommendations:
- Measure all ingredients properly– For example, instead of scooping the flour out of its container with a measuring cup, use a spoon and level method to put the ingredient into the cup.
- Zest the lemon before you squeeze the juice out of it-This step is essential to avoid problems later.
- Flour and grease your pan with butter- Doing this prevents your cake from sticking to the pan and makes it easier to come out when you are done baking. You may use a non-stick baking spray if you don’t wish to flour your pan.
- Only drizzle on the glaze after your cake has cooled completely– The cake may take about 10 minutes to cool.
- Use ingredients in appropriate proportions-Avoid over-mixing the butter after you start mixing it with the flour. You do not want to bake a cake that’s too dense and rough for your liking.
- Use fresh baking essentials-Ensure that your baking powder and baking soda are still fresh and have not lost their potency.
As you celebrate this just-a-bit-warmer weather, be sure to try out this French lemon pound cake recipe that your family members will most likely love. Don’t hesitate to contact the experts at The Reardon Agency if you have any questions related to insurance. We are more than happy to guide you through the process of insuring your family home, car, or other personal assets.
Comments are closed.